Friday, December 14, 2007

Being Sick in Africa is Not Fun!

Hello Everyone!
You know, one of my biggest fears is getting seriously ill in Africa - the medical facilities in most countries are horrific. Well low and behold, I am being tested here in Ghana. I have been suffering with Type 1 Malaria for the last week and it has been an exhausting experience. Although I have a less serious type of malaria, it still has it's wonderful side effects - chills, fever, diarrhea, headache, and generally not feeling well. I went for a blood test on Tuesday for both Typhoid and Malaria. The only way to determine both of these diseases is a blood test. My test came back positive for malaria. I am shocked at myself, I handled it very well. You have to respect the great number of cases of malaria in this country alone. Millions of Ghanaians face Malaria in a year. I am on medicine and feeling better. But with any illness you need plenty of rest - so I have been neglecting my little darlings a bit this week! I will make it up to them on Monday, when I hand out their Christmas gifts!

I just wanted to reassure everyone that I am doing fine! I have many photos to share with you, so stay tuned! Also, I will snap up plenty of pics of our holiday party on Monday to share with you! I don't look forward to that day - going to miss the little ones soooo much!!

Take Care, and Stay Warm!!

Peace,
Heather

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather, I hope you get better soon. Take care of yourself. Thanks for the postcard.
I will miss the yearly Dec 24th visit from you and mom.
Hope you have a good xmas I know it will be different but memorable.
Love from the Goodwins.

Anonymous said...

Teacha Heatha, oh you poor baby. Sucks being sick with out mommy there isn't it? Haha! Well sure hope your feeling better for Christmas. If I don't talk to you before, Have a Very Merry Christmas and One Heck of a New Year!...CHEERS!!!
Take Care..Love Char