Saturday, March 1, 2008

Dream Comes to an End!

Hi Everyone!
This is by no means a cheerful blog. I know many of you have been wondering where I've been for the last month. The fact is, there are so many problems on the Buduburam Refugee Camp that I don't even know where to start.

This country is so political and corrupt, and as I've told you, it's going to get very dangerous in this country prior to the December 2008 elections. Tensions have hit almost a boiling point here, and daily there are army helicopters flying overhead. It is widely speculated that there will be a cout d etat in this country soon, and a violent one. Good thing I'll be getting out of here at the end of April.

This is effecting the Liberian refugees greatly as the current government doesn't give a damn about their welfare. President Kufour has even sent army and police on camp regularly to arrest all the men over 15 years of age, accusing them of being rebels used to overthrow the government. There are cases of beatings, rape and murder on camp that are not being investigated. There are reports of young children being murdered for sacrificial purposes. You have to be in Africa to understand the twisted and barbaric ritualistic traditions that still grip so-called prosperous African countries like Ghana!

So, being an International Volunteer with connections to the International world, the camp manager, a Ghanaian, has ordered me to never return to camp. It seems I pose a serious threat to the Ghanaian police's wicked control over the 40,000 refugees who call Buduburam home. They fear Internationals will talk to the outside world about the atrocities that are occurring on camp. Many Volunteers have fallen victim to this. Doctors, dentists, nurses, teachers, journalists have all faced harassment and even threats by the Ghanaian police on camp, and in particular the camp manager. Materials, including medical supplies have been confiscated by police and they have been handed out to Ghanaians, instead of the refugee population who so desperately need them.

So, to make things short, I no longer travel to work on camp. I'm totally heartbroken, because I have made an impact in the short time I was there. My Grade 5 class, the SMART KIDS, the Adult Literacy group and the NGO volunteers all miss the white girl who cares so much for them. But I continue to do my work from my comfy room at home. I must address the plight of my Liberian brothers and sisters to the world. After all, no country is ever immune to war. And when it hits, we all need wonderful and caring people like the ones I have met at Buduburam. I am so humbled to have met and worked with so many Liberians. They have all experienced so much trauma in their lives and yet they are some of the most warm and peaceful people I have spent time with. We could all learn a great deal from our Liberian brothers and sisters.

Peace,
Heather

No comments: