Sunday, September 23, 2007

A Day of Traveling About!

Hello to Everyone,
Saturday was a fun day, one of traveling throughout Accra and hanging out with the neighbourhood kids. I headed out early and hopped on a crowded tro-tro to Max Mart and purchased some much needed supplies – pop, a few goodies, some laundry soap, and other household necessities. I absolutely love this store! You can even rent current DVD’s for $2.00. You know me and my movies, I can’t live without them.

I also had a houseful of visitors today, as many of the kids stopped in to play with my selection of toys. Many of the neighbourhood kids come by asking, “teacha Heatha, where’s the soccer ball?” or “teacha Heatha, come and play with us!” How can I say no to these beautiful children?? But let me tell you, I think I have opened a big can of worms here, because now they are going to be at my door all the time! But I love it, and that’s why I’m here! I even had little Mawena drop in Friday night showing me how well she’s done her homework. God, she’s precious!

My bead sensation has taken off like a rampant fire here, and now I have both the children and the adults asking me to teach them. It’s so funny to watch the boys beading because in Canada they would consider it too girly! Little do they know, it’s excellent for fine motor development and hand-eye coordination. So Bring on them Beads!!











I have posted some more pictures of the children for you to enjoy! As teachers, we are to never show favouritism to certain children! I love them all so much here, however, there is one little boys that just melts my heart. For me, Junior is the face of the nation (he's pictured at the top - with his serious face). He has such a unique personality and man – is he cute! He's so young, and yet he takes charge so easily around here, especially with the soccer ball in hand!

Either Monday or Tuesday I will be going with Kofi to his school where he teaches. I want to observe in as many settings as I can here in Ghana! You never know when you may have another chance to learn in Africa! I look forward to sharing this new experience with you!

Cheers,
Heather

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you tanned yet???

Aunt J.

Marshia said...

Okay, Teacha Heatha - fine job.
What is the temp. there, because here it is freezing at night?
Also sure would like to see pics of the market, street and landscape scenery. (whenever you have enough power, that is) Just can't imagine what it is like.
Take care.

Anonymous said...

Can you bring some of your kids home, I love them all. Can hardly wait to see and hear more of your adventures.You take care and hugs and kisses to your babies.

Mary S