Friday, September 28, 2007

Please Join Me in Prayer!

Hello Everyone!
First thing's first – I want to send out a warm hug for all my friends and family in Alberta, because as I understand it, you are going to be getting an early winter. I send you lots of love and warmth from Africa. I wish you were all here experiencing this wonderful land with me!

Second important issue – I am not religious by any means, as many of you know. However, there is a devastating event occurring in Ghana right now, and I want you all to join me in prayer! The Volta region of Ghana is under horrific flooding and many people have died. Over 300 homes have been washed away and hundreds of families are left homeless. You know, I watch the news here as often as I can, and I just thank my lucky stars that I am not a civilian in that region right now. For those of you who don’t know the geographical location of Lake Volta, it is located in the East, approximately 200 miles north of Accra. So although I am not in any direct path of devastation, the entire nation is feeling the destruction. I am yet to know if this will cause further problems with water and electricity. I plan to travel with a friend to his hometown of Ho (bordering the country of Togo) in the upcoming weeks, so I hope we can make a stopover in the Volta region and check out some of the devastation first hand. I want to offer my support to the people and see if there’s anything I can do to help.

I cannot explain this enough - as a volunteer in a third world continent like Africa, you are not consumed just with your mission or project. You begin to care so much for the people that you are always looking at ways that you can lend your support. It is my hope that by the end of my stay here, I have come in contact with as many people as possible and that I experience as much as I can. Sometimes all these people need is someone to listen to their stories. But I tell you, once you have begun to hear the struggles of the Ghanaian people, you feel compelled to act!

Now that I have left a sour mark on your day, I want us all to reflect on how lucky we are to be living in our great country. Yes, we bitch about taxes, but I believe it’s a small price we have to pay to live a life of such luxury. I have always considered myself a proud and grateful Canadian, but each day, I become even more proud and even more grateful!

Love Heather

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW heather you are so awesome, I wish I was there with you, it must be very frightful for these people to face such devestation. You are so right on how lucky we are to wake up every morning and live the lives we have. My prayers are with them and you.
Love Mary S.