Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Wonderful Times with Ghanaian Teachers!!

Greetings from Accra!
I hope you aren’t freezing to death in Alberta. I hear some cold weather is headed your way! Poor you! – It’s absolutely lovely here – the Ghanaians are cold because it’s rainy season, and here’s the white “sista” sweating like never before. To be honest, it’s very comfortable here – you just need to make sure you’re well hydrated!

What an amazing day I had yesterday! Kofi and I hopped on a tro-tro and headed out to his school at 8:00 in the morning. What a school! – Absolutely crumbling to pieces, but what a wonderful bunch of students and teachers! I was so impressed by the way I was treated. I have been asked to come back to the school – I guess I am quite a social hit! Apparently, I am the only volunteer who has brought supplies and has taken the time to visit all the classrooms and speak to the students and teachers.

The school includes every grade – from Kindergarten to Junior Secondary, and Secondary students. And I tell you, I challenge any group of students in the world to outdo these students – by far the best behaved and disciplined students I have ever seen! And what a blast they are to hang around with! I spent most of the time in Kofi’s Math and Agricultural Science classes. These students are 15 – 17 years of age, and what personalities! I love them all! I know I will see these kids as politicians, lawyers, teachers and doctors in the future! God Bless Them!

The school is in desperate need of teaching resources – the younger Forms (grades) really need age appropriate books. They would also greatly benefit from resources for the development of phonics. Currently, the roof of the school is in need of replacement. A couple of the classrooms have been closed down because the roof has caved in. Luckily no one was in the classroom at the time. And often times, the money to replace things comes from the teachers own pockets! I have already dedicated some time when I get home to do some fundraising! I want to make sure these kids have as much as possible to help them learn! They deserve the quality education our children receive in North America!

As I was touring the school, Kofi pointed out the window and showed me the ocean. I was floored! I had no idea the school was mere steps from the beach! One of Kofi’s older students took me for a walk down to the beach! Fishing boats littered the water, as they do all along the coast. It’s an amazing sight. Unfortunately I didn’t have my camera. But when I return for a visit, I will be sure to snap up some pics!

Well, I have a busy afternoon! I talk to my parents every Wednesday afternoon(morning in Alberta), so I will be expecting their call in a short while. Then I have some laundry and cleaning to do. I need to remove the layers of red clay that gets tracked into the house! I’m sure going to miss African clay when I leave. It’s become part of my skin texture!

Take Care
Love Heather

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather
Not sure if you remember me Debbie Walker. I play darts with your mom.I'm so amazed with this sight. You are so lucky and fortunate to get this experience. When you feel homesick, you should just think about all the new and great adventures you are going to bring back to all your friends and family.Take care and enjoy every day to the fullest.

Anonymous said...

hi Heather, our family have been patients of Dr.T.B. for many years and have known your mom as long as she has been there. We send you our blessings for what you are doing and will check in with you from time to time.
God Bless you for being so caring and sharing your experiences with us.
Jocelan and family

Anonymous said...

I'm still waiting to hear if you are tanned yet????????????

Saturday nite here in Kelowna and its very windy and chilly...nice nite to stay warm and bundled up...

...and read the manual to my new flat top range...exciting, eh?

The first thing, I cooked on it was some onions for my perogies...good Ukrainian girl!!!

Take Care and have fun...until next time..toodle loo!!! Auntie J.