Friday, September 14, 2007

It's Time to Relax a Bit!

Hello to All,
Well, my first week of teaching is complete, and boy did it go by fast. What an incredible day today, the children were amazing. Well behaved and eager to learn! The day is not as long as it is in Canada as I only teach from 9:00 to 2:00. The mornings are spent establishing routines such as brushing teeth, reading stories and singing songs. I spend the afternoons one-on-one with the children or in small groups working on specific skills such as writing and math. But there is such a wide range of ages and abilities that it can very difficult to have appropriate activities planned that would be suitable for all the children. But considering the fact that without volunteer teachers the children would be aimlessly running around all day, I believe the children are all learning in one way or another.

I’ve been hearing reports of cold weather in Alberta, down into the minus digits at night. All I can say is ...You Poor Buggers!! Let me tell you, it’s beyond hot here. I mean it’s so toasty that I have become accustomed to sweat running down my face all day and my hair being damp. But it’s not uncomfortable. You learn to live with it. And it cools off considerably in the evening, so much so that I wear layers to bed. You also get used to the layers of red clay that cover your skin wherever you go. I am beginning to feel like something’s missing when I can’t feel the sand in my socks and shoes.

I have posted some pics of my living quarters. You would have been totally grossed out if I had sent you pics when I first arrived. The cobwebs and dust bunnies were everywhere, however after a day’s cleaning, this place isn’t looking half bad. And now that my fellow volunteer Tatiana has returned home, I have the place to myself. I have a fridge (loaded with mass quantities of pop), a tv and DVD player, a sink and shower, and a bed. Now, if electricity is not on and water is turned off, then I have nothing! But power has been OK for a solid week, so here’s hoping! In the mornings, if needed, you have to bucket shower because water is turned off until the evening. I do my laundry in a pail in the shower and hang it out on the line to dry. This might sound Stone Age, but it’s really not that bad.

This weekend I hope to purchase a cheap (but effective – you got to watch what you buy here!) cell phone so that I can talk to people. That way my parents can phone at whatever time is convenient for them. It will be nice to hear familiar voices, as it can get lonely here on your own. So I’ll let you know how the shopping goes!

By For Now!
Love Heather



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HEY, TEACHA...NOT TO SHABBY...ITS A PLACE TO CALL HOME...I SNIGGLE AT THE LAUNDRY FACILITIES YOU HAVE...NOT BAD FOR ONE BUT IT WOULD BE A BUGGER FOR A FAMILY TO BE DOING LAUNDRY ALL DAY,EH...I GUESS THATS WHERE THEY CAME UP WITH LAUNDRY DAY, BACK IN THE DAY!!! LOOKING GOOD!!

AUNT J.