Saturday, September 8, 2007

I'm On African Clay!!

Hello To Everyone,
Well, I am finally in Accra, Ghana, although what a hellish last leg of a trip! Everything was going smooth until I hit Germany, and then all hell broke loose! First, they overbooked the flight, so if you can imagine close to 400 Ghanaians cramming the gate to get on a plane and a white girl in the middle of this commotion. But there's a bit of competitor in me, because I was in the front of the massive lineup boarding the plane! What a fantastic view. There is nothing like overlooking Sub-Saharan Africa. I can't even explain it!

It feels wonderful to be in Ghana! The people are wonderful, especially to foreigners. I'm an "obruni" white girl from "way over there". "TORONTO, You from Toronto?" No, I reply, Edmonton! "Oh yah!" I will definitely have to bring out the atlas! I have already picked up on a few life lessons here in Accra, like everything is a negotiation. Cab fares, market goods, gum, you name it! You name your price before you even think of purchasing things. The amount of traffic is horrific here, like I am talking thousands of cars crammed in market streets dodging potholes bigger then my Honda! And I will NEVER, EVER complain about anyone's driving back home! I thought I was dead 5 times today. But you never see an accident here! Ghanaians were born for the wheel!

And as far as food, I am set. THEY HAVE SODA at every corner of the streets. You can basically purchase anything here for a price! Lots of pasta, veggies and fruit. Nothing I can't handle comfortably. My living conditions are fine too! Minus the bugs - cockroaches come out to visit at night!, it's cozy! But my two other volunteer friends won't be here much longer, so I will have the place to myself for a while!

Anyway, I gotta fly here! I am sure tomorrow will present some new and wonderful experiences. I will try and post some photos tomorrow! You'll be quite shocked. But I tell you, I have already begun to appreciate the great life I live in Canada. You don't really realize how fortunate you are until you experience Africa!

I will write soon! I love you all!

Cheers
Heather

1 comment:

Marshia said...

Hi Heather
Just got back from your parents house (I can't believe they stayed up so late, except your dad). In bed at 10. Had some snacks, and your Mom and me chated. You sure do a good job of describing Africa. Keep up the good work. Look forward to seeing pictures.