Sunday, September 9, 2007

Tro-Tro to Where??

Hello Everyone,
I was so excited last night, my first night in Africa and we had a major rain storm. The gutters on the streets were flowing all night long. It was so loud, but luckily our roof didn't leak. You see, when it rains in Accra, the school's roof leaks and it takes days to dry the one room school. The plan is to have the roof fixed this week. But in Africa a minute can take four hours, so you can imagine my slight hesitation when someone mentions a week.

I had the opportunity to take a quick glance at the school, and let me tell you, that quick glance was all I needed to see how deprived a school this is. There is one main chalkboard, although hardly any chalk (glad I brought tons of it!) There are currently no tables for the students to work on, and the few chairs we have can be missing legs and have protruding nails. No wonder the kids don't want to bloody sit! Amazingly however, this tiny one room church serves as a learning centre for over 20 beautiful children. I can't wait until tomorrow so I can finally meet all the kids!

The afternoon here was awesome. Myself and the two other volunteers took the tro-tro to the Botanical Gardens up in the hills, and WOW, what a view. All rolling hills, palm trees, cumulus clouds, and the mountain tops in the distance. It's almost a better view when it is cloudy! It feels like you're standing in a painting!

You are probably wondering what a tro-tro is! Good question. My God, what an experience. So you stand on the street and wait for an arriving tro-tro (somewhat like an Volkswagon van)and flag down the "mate" hanging from the doors of the vehicle. But it's tricky, because you've got to watch for hand symbols. For example, to get to the "Cirlce" market, you have to watch for the rotating index finger. I have picked up quite quick! So then they pack you in like sardines, sometimes up to 23 hot, sweaty people, and you go for the biggest, bumpiest bloody ride you'll ever be on! But you can't relax for a bit or you'll miss your stop. I've still got a lot to learn.

I must be a quick learner, however because I have managed to make a few Ghanaians laugh at my use of African tongue. As a white girl in Ghana, I get the "Hey Obruni" (Hey White Girl!) shouted out everywhere. So I reply back, "Yah, Yah, Bibini! meaning "Hey black man!" I get the biggest chuckle out of watching their responses. Many just laugh, and then they think you're as nuts as they are! Today I happened to walk too close to a tro-tro as the driver was making his way through a throng of people, so he shouts "Hey Obruni". I yelled back "bibini" and he looked at me and laughed! It's such a feeling of freedom here! Of course there's always bad apples amongst the crowd, but most everyone has your back and watches out for you. It helps to make me feel a little more secure.

I am hoping to post pictures tomorrow of the classroom and my living quarters. I will also post pictures of the insane crowds, markets and tro-tros. Then you will have a vivid image of what I am talking about.

Better Fly so I am ready for class tomorrow! Hope is well with each of you and I will talk to you soon!

Love Heather

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Right on girlie...glad you made it and have experienced some lifestyle...already...Thought forsure you'd sleep for a few days...

Where's the dam pictures????

Love Auntie Jack